Thursday, January 26, 2017


WET AND WILD
8"x10"

Day 26 - 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge.  Only 4 days left!  It's a little bittersweet for me. I love a good deadline so it's been very motivating.  However, I've discovered some things that I want to explore on a larger scale.  

This technique I've used the last 2 days is one of those things. I painted my Arches watercolor paper with white gesso in a very loose manner before adding any color. I actually apply the gesso with a palette knife to get some interesting textures and let it dry.  Then I paint watercolor washes which usually turn out to be too light.  I let them dry then add FW acrylic ink glazes to brighten and add the deeper values.  The fun part is that when you splash water into the still damp color and lift gently with a tissue, you get the most amazing random return to the white of the paper. What a great way to create splashes and rock texture!


No comments:

Post a Comment