Saturday, January 21, 2017



HIS BANNER OVER US IS LOVE
8"x10"

Day 21 - 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge.   "…..His banner over us is love" is from Song of Solomon 2:4.  When I imagined this painting, I visualized the figures RADIATING love.  It seems our assignment now more than ever is to radiate love wherever we can. 

PROCESS: The painting began with wet in wet watercolor washes.  Avoiding the center area where the figures were to be, I allowed just a little of the warm yellow ochre and quinacridone coral to flow into the figures.  I wanted the background to be cold and dark in contrast so I added the blues, purples and greens.  After that all dried, I began to design the negative spaces, describing the shapes of the main figures as well as the shadow figures in the background.  Collage was next with the radiating circular shapes and the banner.  A few iridescent colors sprinkled around and done.

If there is anything I've learned from this challenge, it's that it is a wonderful way to identify what "style" is most comfortable and authentic.  After experimenting with  several techniques and styles,  I've discovered the one that brings the most adrenalin and joy to me is this semi abstract way of working.  It feels the most authentic and goes beyond the constraints of reporting "just the facts" of a subject.  I hope it will speak to others too.


No comments:

Post a Comment