Saturday, January 14, 2017



LATE AFTERNOON ON THE KADUNCE
8"x10"

Day 14 - 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge.

This painting was inspired by one of my favorite spots on the North Shore, the mouth of the Kadunce River.  I've spent many hours there, pocketing a couple heart shaped rocks for my garden and just enjoying the serene beauty of the place.  One of my favorite memories is hiking up the river with my brother, wondering what critter had made those GIGANTIC footprints on the trail and getting "just a little" bit lost. Fortunately his guiding skills saved the day or I'd probably still be wandering around in the woods! 

It's always a challenge for me to focus on painting grays and neutrals as I normally gravitate toward the brighter, warmer colors.  Jeanne Dobie's Making Watercolors Sing has a chapter on what she calls 'mouse colors.'  I learned to appreciate how many different formulas there are for painting grays and I recommend her book to all my new students. 


No comments:

Post a Comment