Thursday, January 12, 2017


Day 12 - 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge

ROSY DAY AT CHIK WAUK
8" x 10"

On these crisp winter days, it's nice to remember the beautiful warm Minnesota days we've experienced in the past and will again. (eventually!)  One of my favorite spots in the world is the Gunflint Trail in northern Minnesota and this painting recreates a beautiful early morning trip up the trail to visit the newly completed Chik Wauk Museum. The stone house that is now the museum was home to a pioneering family on the Trail.  It eventually became a rustic resort for those hardy souls willing to find the beauty that compensated for the king sized mosquitoes, sometimes harsh weather and rustic living conditions.  I have such great admiration for those amazing people.  Let it be said that I loved visiting and learning about their life, but I was perfectly happy to return to my air conditioned house in the city.  Everything in life is a trade off I guess. Visit if you get a chance.  It's wonderful.

I wanted to continue my favorite style of painting in watercolor which is to begin wet into wet, then as the paper dries, continue creating edges to define the subject.  I find that with wet in wet, I'm able to paint the wonderful soft passages, then very judiciously use the sharper edges made on the drier paper to define the center of interest and direct the eye through the painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment